This is a funny article, that about ridiculous software bug workarounds: things you might do to get around a certain bug.
One of the nice examples in all the comments:
but it was back in the days of Windows 95. I was working in software Localisation for a Lotus Notes product. We had several machines working in the test lab based on ghost images, so they were all pretty much identical.
One of the machines kept dying on us during the test phase, but none of the others did. Very confusing, for about a day. Until we realised that the machine which was crashing had an audio CD in the drive. (Not playing, not in Explorer. Just present in the drive.)
We verified it by swapping the audio cd into other machines, and running the same tests. Invariably, the machine with the CD in, crashed when we tried to perform task “x” in Lotus Notes.
It was escalated up, as I recall. And we eventually got a note back saying “Don’t put CD’s in the CD-Rom drives.”
I still remember it (as a recent graduate) as my first exposure to management-style thinking.
Another great one:
After upgrading a server, we watched a client verify the server through his daily application. The client entered data and clicked on submit, the next screen appeared instantly. “This is not possible” said the client “it takes about two seconds to submit data to the database”!
“But the new server is much faster!” we said. It didn’t matter, the client refused to believe the data was really submitted.
We held a meeting about this ‘problem’. One developer suggested to add a two second ‘do nothing’ loop to the submit button.
So we patched the server and asked the client to verify again. He entered data, clicked ’submit’ and was very happy to have his two second delay back! “Now it works…” he said “…now the data is entering the database!”.
We admitted our fault (knowing very well that all we added was a two second delay).
It happens… all the time :-)